October 1, 2017 "Too Many" Pastor Wood
Text: Judges 7:2 (ESV) 2 The Lord said to Gideon, “The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.’
- There are TOO MANY
- I will TEST them
- TRUMPETS and TORCHES are all you need
D.Scripture for reflection:
- Too many
- Deuteronomy 8:17 (ESV) 17 Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’
- Ezekiel 28:2 (ESV) 2 “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God: “Because your heart is proud, and you have said, ‘I am a god, I sit in the seat of the gods, in the heart of the seas,’ yet you are but a man, and no god, though you make your heart like the heart of a god—
- 1 Samuel 14:6 (ESV) 6 Jonathan said to the young man who carried his armor, “Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised. It may be that the Lord will work for us, for nothing can hinder the Lord from saving by many or by few.”
- Isaiah 40:29 (ESV) 29 He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 (ESV) 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
- Test them
- Genesis 22:1 (ESV) After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.”
- 1 Samuel 16:7 (ESV) 7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
- Psalm 66:10 (ESV) 10 For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.
- Jeremiah 6:27 (ESV) 27 “I have made you a tester of metals among my people, that you may know and test their ways.
- Malachi 3:2 (ESV) 2 But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap.
- Trumpets & Torches
- 1 Corinthians 15:52 (ESV)52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
- Joshua 6:4 (ESV) 4 Seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams’ horns before the ark. On the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, and the priests shall blow the trumpets.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4 (ESV) 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
- Isaiah 59:17 (ESV) 17 He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and wrapped himself in zeal as a cloak.
- Ephesians 6:11 (ESV) 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.